Thursday, July 28, 2011

My 25th Birthday:-)

It was a memorable day I spent …From getting surprises at the blink of an eye to getting wishes from the most unexpected people….I surely have enjoyed myself..
I can’t thank the three of my most special friends who have really gone out of their way to make this birthday of my so special for me….K, J and A thanks so much for being around…though I really missed N.:-(
As much as I feel about writing on how I spent my day, I am at present too tempted to pen down 25 of the most memorable moments of my life so far. They are not in any particular order, just the way they are crossing my mind…

1. When I scored a 95 in my board exams, mathematics paper. I had almost flunked my prelims. That was literally one of those moments I couldn’t believe what I’d heard- My sister told me “ you’ve got a 95!” I could see tears well up my mother’s eyes. Her effort had finally paid off. Thanks mummy…
2. Holding my 6 month old nephew, who was fat, cute and quite calm. I could hold him, pull his cheeks, or simply try to tickle him, only so I could see him smile
3. When I cried looking at my sister and Abu’s photograph in Prof Lochan’s class and he told me “You have taken me too literally my child. And I am happy you took this exercise to the heart”. This was in reference to an assignment he had given us. He almost reminded me of my grandfather I never had the privilege to be with…
4. When I learnt to drive and the pride with which I drove on the Delhi roads…Also can’t miss out on the subsequent car breakdowns I’ve witnessed so much so that it made me master my mechanical skills…
5. My first job, the offer letter for which took ages to reach me. Recession year and I had almost thought I had missed the opportunity!
6. Silently crying sitting in one corner of the room thinking about the irony of my life. Ambitions of becoming a CA, turned me into a media professional. A sure shot decision of staying with MY PARENTS FOREVER landed me in a city like Mumbai where I was all alone
7. My first salary and spending it all on my family!
8. When one of friends dragged me into the waves of the dirty juhu beach and we enjoyed digging ourselves in the dirty filth that had flooded the water there! Ewww! That day I truly went wild!
9. My trek to kalavantin with a bunch of strangers. When we had reached the peak and I could see a blanket of stars in the sky... As we all spent the night wondering if only that moment could freeze….
10. When I gave my mother the most special surprise of her life by landing up home without any prior intimation. I was at the door and called her up. We began having a regular conversation after which I rang the bell and she said “ hold on. Someone’s at the door”. I was anxiously waiting outside. She opened the door and stood there ….numb…not knowing how to react!. She then hugged me and said “ I am so glad you came”
11. When I cuddle up and sleep with my mother, I sleep peacefully
12. I was at the Bangalore airport when my parents came to drop me, so I could catch a flight back to Mumbai. I was fighting my tears. Didn’t know how to say goodbye. Could see how tears were waiting to drop from my father’s eyes. But he obviously pretended he was in control of his emotions! Sigh!. Never seen him get so emotional
13. My bungee jump! I wasn’t as nervous while I was up the crane..But when I took the fall, it was exhilarating! I was praying to land safely. When I was brought down, I almost wanted to relive that moment again
14. My first international trip to Turkey..
15. Feeling a colleague’s baby inside her womb as it kicked and then seeing it in flesh and blood after it was born. WOW! Motherhood is indeed a special feeling
16. Attending the aarti at Siddhivinayak which still brings tears in my eyes. I feel like I am close to God. I can feel him around me and it gives me a kind of strength …
17. My sister getting a job at a good MNC after a long wait! A job which is now taking her to greater highs
18. My small medical procedure to address an infection I had developed. I was inside the operation theatre, something which always intimidated me…. …To be experiencing it was scaryyyy…Phew!
19. Rediscovering extended family members. One of them who had changed for the better. From the attitude driven, status conscious person to a simpleton. And another who had presented an ugly streak! Made me think I am a bad judge of character indeed. Also taught me how first impressions are not always the last and circumstances you are in end up shaping your personality!
20. When my friends surprised me by giving me a coconut, coconut powder, coconut oil and dahi for my 25th birthday. This konkan coconut just loved it!
21. Feeling hurt when my best friend consciously decided to stay away from my birthday celebrations. Made me wonder if our slight tiff had affected our friendship to such an extent that I was given a royal ignore. Hurt me
22. My promotion .
23. When a colleague asked me “ Do you really think this job is worth staying away from your parents?” . I am still trying to find an answer to this question!
24. Late night conversations with my rommie on how much our lives had changed since we came to Mumbai or for that matter simply recollecting childhood memories
25. Writing my blog after a year! Thanks beens for igniting the spark in me

I must confess as I was proof reading this I thought instead of random thoughts I should follow the order in which I lived these moments. May not make for a good read as it may have lost its rawness, but its ok. I’d like it to be this way….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apt and emotional..!!!:)