Thursday, July 10, 2008

Upsilamba!!!!

9 July, 2008: Its 1.30 am and raining heavily. I am glad that the temperature has fallen giving us some respite from the scorching heat. I can smell the wet earth and feel the cool breeze that rustles through the tress. ‘Upsilamba’. !!!!

For those of you unaware of this word, please read the book ‘Reading Lolita in Tehran’ before doing a google search. And if you can’t do that than I would request you to just think of the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘Upsilamba’ For me, the meaning of Upsilamba has had positive connotations. Sometimes its an emotion I fail in express. For instance days when Pappa would switch on the tape-recorder and play songs in the morning, while me and my sister would get ready for school just as the way he turns on the computer today to play songs just before we leave for work. At times I use the word ‘Upsilamba’ in place of ‘beautiful’. Like...when I witness the first ray of sunlight that cuts through my window early in the morning as I lay half-asleep on my bed. Or when, the weather is such that it is partially cloudy while the sun is trying to make its way through them. Upsilamba is memories relived and the strong emotion that fills me with blissful fulfillment :) How about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well for me the word upsalimba means....a great start after a really low phase..its the phase where I decide to stand up and put all the negatives behind me and move ahead with a new zest :)

Reena Manjrekar said...

thanx for posting. Good to know how certain words can mean different things to different people:)